Monday, January 14, 2008

No small roles, only small actors

I was talking to my friend Sasha over Facebook the other day. She was lobbying for the main role in my sometime-to-be-written blockbuster movie script, but I had to break the unfortunate news to her that it required a male. So I offered her a bit part as a lady who gets killed early on. She fired back with a Russian saying, “There are no small roles, only small actors.” (Не бывает маленьких ролей, бывают маленькие актеры)

How true and profound this is.

I consider myself an ambitious person, so I’m not always eager to play the role “assigned” to me or even the one for which I’m best suited. There’s a fine line to walk between being content and being complacent. Expanding our horizons and the pursuit of excellence are non-negotiable. Not too long ago a verse from the book of Proverbs caught my eye. In the 29th verse of chapter 22, Solomon urged his son on to excellence when he wrote, “Do you see a man skilled in his work? He will stand before kings; he will not stand before obscure men.” I like the sound of that.

But at some point the die is cast, and maybe our role in a particular situation isn’t what we sought or wanted. Unfortunately, I’ve stood before a lot of obscure men in my day. No matter. Whatever that role happens to be, play it to the fullest. As the Apostle Paul wrote in I Corinthians 12:22-26, you may find that your role isn’t so small as you’d believed it to be.
On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.
Play your part, whatever it is, and play it “as unto the Lord.” Because while we may be standing before obscure men down here, there is a King who always sees what we do.

2 comments:

Kingdom Shifts said...

Great reminder Adam! Thanks for picking up the pen again and writing. Hopefully you'll pick it up a few more times before 2009!

Anonymous said...

Do I qualify for the lead role in your blockbuster hit?